Since I drink wine almost every night lately. I have a ton of corks starting to overflow in a jar. The other day I was shopping at Michaels and I was looking to buy lettered stamps. I was surprised at the cost of the stamps so I held off. I decided to take my stamp search to the internet. Thus coming across a video on how to make stamps out of corks that led me to make my own!
Materials: Corks, dark permanent marker, box cutter and ink.
- Chug a bottle of wine so you have a cork to use. Or if you have a stash like me gather a few that have a smooth non-punctured side.
- Grab a box cutter or something that has a thin sharp edge (Swiss army knife would work).
- Draw with a permanent marker what shape you would like to carve out on the top of the non-punctured side of the cork.
- Take your cutter and start carving away (I found it was easiest if I cut first around the edge of the cork to create a deep enough difference between the shape and the rest of the cork around. The cork is squishy so make sure you cut deep enough around the shape so that when you push down it doesn’t just become a blob.
- Once you are happy with your stamp shape – apply any color ink you choose and press on a piece of paper.
- Drink a few more bottles, gather the corks and continue stamping!
(Not perfect but they have some character and charm)
-Happens for a Riesling